Friday, September 7, 2018

The Song Tree

Song Tree drawing in my lyric book :)
It was early 2016. I remember sitting on the red couch at the Noise Umbrella studio waiting to continue tracking a song called "Love So Strange".  At this time, Noise Umbrella was briefly located in east Plano, TX, in a separate building from NAMS, for about a year or so.  As I sat, I pondered the song structure, lyrics, dynamics, instrumentation; All the things you think of constantly when creating music. 

Well, after much contemplation, I began imagining the music as a tree...stay with me...a growing tree. Remember, I'm in a dimly lit studio by myself, in total creative mode...Got that pictured? Ok, here we go! :)

At first, before sound, I saw a seed. The seed then began to sprout as the intro started playing. Little roots started to form and, as the song continued, the roots became longer and longer until at some point the roots broke through the surface, out of the ground. As you can imagine, while the music played, the tree grew, and sprouted, and grew until the song was complete and an entire tree had formed in my mind. (I just had to draw it in my lyric book, of course!) 

The obvious view is that each section, instrument, track, layer, sound; everything that made up the recorded music, was a piece of that tree in it's entirety. The tiniest vein in a single, hanging leaf was a lone, resonating frequency somewhere in the sonic of the song. 

I felt, after seeing this, that the song itself was strong and I was happy with the way it was turning out. The vision seemed complete although there was still so much work to be done. The image of the tree had deep roots and tall branches signifying to me that my frequency spectrum was tall from my lows to highs. All the leaves on the branches told me I had interesting harmonic overtones happening and a lot of movement was taking place. The trunk of the tree told me my rhythm section was strong and tight. (Thanks Phil & Dave, #shoutout)

Beyond the sonic representation, the tree represented so much more. It represents, still, the meaning, depth, strength and fullness of the message in the lyrics. It represents the true root of the message which is rooted in Christ Jesus and who He's called us to be. It represents that all the pieces, lyrics, music, structure, instrumentation were and still are working together to create something powerfully beautiful. There's nothing shallow about the message and nothing apologetic about the music. It's intense and vulnerable; A delicate juggernaut. 

"Love So Strange", as of this writing, 9/7/18, is in it's final stages of production. To keep up with updates and release dates, be sure to sign up for my email list. Did you know you'll receive a free song just for signing up? Ya, you will! Thank you for reading and trekking with me. May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing [through the experience of your faith] that by the power of the Holy Spirit you will abound in hope and overflow with confidence in His promises. (Romans 15:13 AMP)

-Christian Ross (Heríam)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Photo by Zack Santagate

To find out more about me and the music I make, visit http://heriammusic.com

I’m giving away my latest single free when you join my mailing list
As an artist, I create music to encourage and edify in Christ Jesus. All support is appreciated and I'm so grateful. Contribute to my calling by filling up my Tip Jar!
👇👇👇


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


CHECK OUT MY SHOP!

Visit the Heríam Shop for all kinds of merch and goodies designed by yours truly. 


HERÍAM LINKS





~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment